The bridge over the Danube River between Ruse (Bulgaria) and Giurgiu (Romania) was built according to a Soviet project and was put into operation in 1954. The facility is a “farm” type steel structure on two levels – for road traffic (upper level) and railway (lower level). The facility has a high intensity of vehicular traffic, a large proportion of which is heavy goods vehicles. In the past years, measures were taken to maintain the roadway in line with the current repair.
The purpose of a technical project for the implementation of repair and restoration works is to improve the technical and operational condition, carrying capacity and durability of the roadway and its supporting structure. The bridge structure has a total length of 2226.00 m. It is divided into 37 openings with the following static support distances:
• 2 x 12 spans with a length of 33.60 m / 34.00 m axially between the pillars and static scheme – simple beam;
• 2 x 4 spans with a length of 80.00 m and a static scheme – a continuous beam of two spans;
• 2 x 2 spans with a length of 160.00 m and a static scheme – a continuous beam of two spans;
• middle span with lifting metal structure 86.00 m and static scheme – simple beam (on Romanian territory).
On Bulgarian and Romanian territory, the bridge is symmetrical in the longitudinal direction.